Friday, February 02, 2007

Because I Said So: Red Velvet Couch


SPOTTED ON: The set of Because I Said So, a chick-flick starring the adorably wacky Diane Keaton as the mom of three very different daughters. In theaters 2/2/07.

WHAT CAUGHT OUR EYE: This funky red velvet couch, the perfect spot to hash over old baggage or move on to better things.

GET IT: Plenty of options; we suggest this Marilyn Sofa from FunkySofa.com, about $600 on sale. Available in assorted colors and fabrics. But really, why not get red velvet?

15 comments:

Chelsea said...

I also loved the couch!

What are the other options you mention in the main post? I'm looking for something closer to the couch pictured. Especially the button-tucks (what is the term for them?!).

Thanks!

Jane Louise Boursaw said...

Hi Chelsea - I looked all over and couldn't find one with the button-tucks (or whatever they're called!). I'm thinking it must be vintage. Let me know if you find one!

jane

Lori Hall Steele said...

Hi Chelsea, Thanks for stopping by. Check out these sofas:

--Tufted suede sofa in reddish orange, $4,315, or a low-back red-velvet sofa for $5,548 (ouch!) from horchow.com (search for "tufted sofa")
---Tufted '60s-a-go-go "Petrie Sofa" from crateandbarrel.com, $1,499 (I'm loving it in Lynx--a capuccino color with a hint of pink--and Hydra, a soft blue). I'm certain my grandparents owned this couch, covered in high-end, picky burlap.
--Montauk has a gorgeous, plush tufted sofa, but it's up there at $6,000. montauk.com.

Good luck! And please, do let us know if you find something fabulous (especially if it's super affordable).

-Lori

Anonymous said...

Levitz, believe it or not, has a couch called the sarah collection...love it, it is the same as the one in the movie but in a buttercream color....damn...i love the burgandy one in the movie!!!!!!! let me know if anyone finds it...i am on a mission!!!

Anonymous said...

I FOUND IT!!! THE TATE COUCH AT DOMAIN FURNITURE STORES..IT COMES IN MANY COLORS INCLUDING PORT YAYAYAYAAAAAAAAAAA GOING TO BUY IT TOMORROW!!!

Mary Frances said...

after a little research, I'm pretty positive this is a vintage Chesterfield sofa. I've seen several online on the UK ebay. They are gorgous. I found on in Cardiff UK that is EXACTLY like the one in the movie....too bad it is for pick up only. :(

Lori Hall Steele said...

Thanks for the info, Mary Frances -- vintage sounds like a definite possibility. I checked with the movie publicists last summer and they couldn't pin down where the couch came from.

Anonymous said...

Has anyone found a sofa like that? I have the one from domain but it's not really like the big red one? I'm obsessed with finding it...levitz and domain are out of business. Any other suggestions?

Anonymous said...

Found the couch in a great variety of materials and colors from Williams Sonoma home. I spent the better part of a week looking for this darn sofa and here it is. Seven different material types and about 30 different colors, none of which are Red Velvet. It is called the Beverly Sofa. Hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

coolsofa.com the Aristocrat Sofa - is the couch i am certain and you can custom order it in crushed dark red velvet

Anonymous said...

Check out Horchow Collection's Preston sofa - comes in red velvet. Here's a link

http://www.horchow.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=cprod44930017&cmCat=search&searchType=MAIN&parentId=

Anonymous said...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beautiful-Chesterfield-Sofa_W0QQitemZ180311545808QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081205?IMSfp=TL081205125003r18965#ebayphotohosting

I found one exactly like the couch!

Anonymous said...

I think I found the EXACT SAME COUCH ! Check out the link below:
COOLEST COUCH EVER!!! =o)

If this link is no longer available, just do a google search for Chesterfield sofa - I believe that's the style.
Good Luck!
Brandy

Anonymous said...

I Love all of couches the that you guys have suggested but has anyone found one for under $1,000? I am dieing to find one just like it. But I am just a poor college student and need to find one for cheep!!! Help please!!!!
Thanks
Chuck

cialis said...

In principle, a good happen, support the views of the author